Learn about MQM and Translation Quality Evaluation
- For a comprehensive introduction to evaluation and metrics/models, the webinar Understanding and Implementing Effective Translation Quality Evaluation Techniques (requires registration to view on the GALA site) gives detailed information and advice. (Slides available here).
- The brief Translation Quality Assessment: Five Easy Steps provides an accessible overview of the Multidimensional Quality Metrics (MQM).
- Further detail on MQM and usage FAQs can be found in our full-length MQM webinar MQM Version 2 and Software Infrastructure (requires registration to view on the GALA site). (Slides available here.)
- Other face-to-face presentations on MQM have been made at our workshops and other international conferences and industry events. A workshop on MQM at Localization World in London, June 2013 provides a detailed overview of MQM [PDF] with additional papers presented on Current Trends in Machine Translation Quality Evaluation [Overview & Quality Estimation].
- You can try the basics of MQM with an illustrative translation quality scorecard in Excel format [screenshots also available].
A full description of MQM, including a comprehensive list of all issue types, can be found via the MQM overview page. An exemplary scientific report on applying MQM for error annotation can be found in QTLaunchPad Deliverable 1.3.1, Barriers for High-Quality Machine Translation.
Learn about Post-Editing
The webinar on Effective Post-Editing in Human and Machine Translation Workflows, available via GALA OnDemand (requires registration) (slides available here) provide an overview of how to integrate post-editing into translation workflows
Learn about Quality Estimation
The following links provide more information about quality estimation and how this technique can be used in translation and evaluation:
- Background information on quality estimation and its application [PDF]
- Introduction to quality estimation in predicting translation quality [PDF]
- A more detailed description of these can be found in Deliverable 2.1.1 Quality Estimation Baseline Software.
To try out Quality Estimation for yourself:
- Following this link, you can download the code and information about the software: http://www.quest.dcs.shef.ac.uk/
- And this link shows a simple demo site with some pre-built models: http://staffwww.dcs.shef.ac.uk/people/K.Shah/QuEstClient_v1/test.php
Learn about the Translation and Localisation Industry
Here you can learn more about the translation and localisation industries from our thought-provoking surveys and Mapping the Industry series:
- Mapping the Industry I: Findings on Translation Technologies and Quality Assessment [PDF]
You can read more about the industry in Europe from the EU's recent Language Industry Web Platform.
QTLaunchPad has also been working with industry representatives and consortia to identify areas where research collaborations would yield great success. Here you can find further details about the development of the project and the consortia. Through our workshops above we have also been developing these topics with new and existing partners - feedback from the workshops can be found here. These identified Research Application & Innovation Scenarios (RIAS) focus on the areas below as we continue to seek collaborative partners for future initiatives - contact info [at] qt21 [dot] eu to find out more.
You can find out more about the RIAS here.